I’ve assembled this resource list to help you have the best experience possible. I’ll continue to update it with new links often, so check back!
For learning before the hackathon
- Code Academy
- Excercism.io – download and solve problems in nearly 30 programming languages
Articles about hackathons
- WTF is a hackathon?
- Hackathons are for beginners
- A Brief History of Hackathons
- 14 Tips on How to Crush a Hackathon
- How you can prepare for a hackathon
- The 8 Kinds of Projects You Meet at a Hackathon
- Hackathon-ing as a Non-Developer
- How to Present a Successful Demo
- Your First Hackathon
- Top 10 Ways to Ruin Your Hack
- What Do Women Want at Hackathons? NASA Has a List.
- Selling Out and the Death of Hacker Culture
Other Articles of Interest
- You Can Already Code – You Just Don’t Know It Yet
- The problem with a technology revolution designed primarily for men
- Patriarchy Hurts Everybody.
- What Do Women Want At Hackathons? NASA Has a List.
Brainstorming & PlanningEven though a lot of these use the word “startup” the tools are also useful for planning out a project for a hackathon. Not every hackathon project has to be a good business idea, but the brainstorming tools can be helpful.
- The One Tool Startups Need to Brainstorm, Test and Win
- A Simple Template to Build Your Startups Brand Foundation
- How Mind Mapping Can Help You Organize Your Thoughts
Design & Description
- How to Craft an Irresistible Product Description – useful for figuring out how to describe what your project does quickly which is also useful in presentation
- Canva Design School – tutorials for designs for non-designers
- CodePen – Front End Web Design; get feedback, test for bugs, find example designs
- 4 Tips for Pitching Your Business in 2 Minutes
- Getting Started with Keynote for iCloud – a guide to Keynote which is a popular presentation tool