Resources & Articles
I’ve assembled this resource list to help you have the best experience possible. I’ll continue to update it with new links often, so check back!
For learning before the hackathon
- Girl Develop It
- Code Academy
- Excercism.io – download and solve problems in nearly 30 programming languages
- Tools for Open Source
Articles about hackathons
- WTF is a hackathon?
- Hackathons are for beginners
- A Brief History of Hackathons
- 14 Tips on How to Crush a Hackathon
- How you can prepare for a hackathon
- The 8 Kinds of Projects You Meet at a Hackathon
- Hackathon-ing as a Non-Developer
- How to Present a Successful Demo
- Your First Hackathon
- Top 10 Ways to Ruin Your Hack
- What Do Women Want at Hackathons? NASA Has a List.
- Selling Out and the Death of Hacker Culture
- How to Win any Hackathon – and Why They’re Important
Other Articles of Interest
- You Can Already Code – You Just Don’t Know It Yet
- The problem with a technology revolution designed primarily for men
- Patriarchy Hurts Everybody.
- What Do Women Want At Hackathons? NASA Has a List.
Brainstorming & PlanningEven though a lot of these use the word “startup” the tools are also useful for planning out a project for a hackathon. Not every hackathon project has to be a good business idea, but the brainstorming tools can be helpful.
- The One Tool Startups Need to Brainstorm, Test and Win
- A Simple Template to Build Your Startups Brand Foundation
- How Mind Mapping Can Help You Organize Your Thoughts
Design & Description
- How to Craft an Irresistible Product Description – useful for figuring out how to describe what your project does quickly which is also useful in presentation
- Canva Design School – tutorials for designs for non-designers
- CodePen – Front End Web Design; get feedback, test for bugs, find example designs